Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mosaic and Blue Monday.

 

Two weeks ago we visited our family in the beautiful old  city of Alkmaar, THE cheesecity  in the Netherlands. I am sure people who visited Holland have visited the cheesemarket. Thousands of tourists come to see the cheesemarket in the summer. On my few pictures you can see the cheesebearers who transport the cheeses from the markets to the buyers. It is fun to watch them walking .  More pictures I made when walking through the beautiful center of the city, wooden shoes and tulips on the market, the canals with the tourist boats and the world famous street organ  with its music. I will try to get some streetorgan music on my blog for today. I made many more photo's that day so these next few days I wil post more from Alkmaar with its beautiful old buildings, canals and narrow streets.

2010-07-30 alkmaar4

For Blue Monday more photo's I took in Alkmaar while touring through the canals in an open tourist boat.

2010-07-30 alkmaar6

As you can see some bridges open to let the boats pass by but some bridges don't open so the boat goes under the bridges. This is so much fun because every time we got to sail under the bridges we had to bend our heads otherwise we would hit our heads.You can see how low they are on the right bottom picture. And there were about 20 of them.  

For more mosaic pictures go to Mary's blog The little red house  http://dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com/

For more blue Monday pictures go to Sallies blog Smiling Sally.  http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

25 comments:

Bobbi Ann said...

Hi, Very nice to see you again! I haven't posted for some time now due to my health. I've missed Mosaic Monday's! Your Mosaics are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them today. I hope that you have a lovely new week!
Hugs...
Bobbi

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful market, Riet! I'm sure I would LOVE to see the vendors' wares in person and maybe even purchase some!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Fascinating pictures.I am so glad that you are sharing all these images.You see,this is one part of the world which I have always wanted to see and now I am seeing it through your eyes.
Blessings,Ruth

Snap said...

Riet,

I loved your post. I love seeing places I only dream about! Someday I'll get to Holland!!! (I hope) Beautiful.

Pondside said...

The colours in that first mosaic are so vivid - I wish I could be there!
I have a wood cut - actually a gingerbread mold - of the cheese carriers from Alkmaar.

June said...

It looks so festive there. Are the days always so beautiful here? The markets are so colorful and the streets so full. Such a beautiful place.
hugs to you Riet...

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

What a fabulous market Riet. I'll be the cheeses taste wonderful!

Traci said...

Fantastic colors!

Fluitenkruid said...

Hoi Riet, ik ben vaak in Alkmaar geweest maar nog nooit naar de kaasmarkt. Heb je nog genoten van de mooie winkeltjes daar?
groetjes Jannet

klaproos said...

een heerlijkr compilatie riet, elke week weer kanp om te kijken wat het worden zal,
mooi hoor

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

Lovely mosaics Reit - I never got to see a cheese market while in Amsterdam but did get into some of those wonderful cheese shops.

B i r g i t t a said...

I have been in Alkmar and visite the cheese market :)
Beautiful and interesting place!

http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/08/16/Blue-Monday.aspx

Rebecca said...

I love to see your pics -they take me somewhere I'll never get to go!

JEANNE said...

Hello dear Riet, I am back to visiting after a long and busy summer. It feels wonderful to be sitting here on a Monday morning with nothing to do but visit my blogging friends.

Your mosaic today is so wonderful. It really makes me long to visit this beautiful place. Maybe one day. I think a ride in the tourist boat would be lovely, even if I have to duck my head a few times. Big smile here!

I am looking forward to more of your lovely photos.
Hugs, Jeanne

SmilingSally said...

Interesting shots, Riet. I loved tasting the cheeses when we visited Holland.

Happy Blue Monday!

A Garden of Threads said...

Wonderful pictures of the town, thank you for sharing your day with us. Have a wonderful week.

Ann said...

Holland is such a beautiful country, I really enjoy your pictures. We visited years ago and I love seeing pictures that remind me of that time in my life.
Ann

Kaye Swain - Real Estate Info for the Sandwich Generation said...

What a nice treat to get to visit your delightful country from my computer! I so loved the flowers throughout! I bet there's a lot of sweet senior gardening there as well. Happy Blue Monday :)

Madelief said...

Hoi Riet,

Wat ziet Alkmaar er gezellig uit! Ik ben er nog nooit geweest, maar zie dat het leuk is om te doen. Misschien in de winter, wanneer het iets minder toeristisch is ;-)!

Wems je een fijne avond!

Lieve groet, Madelief

Wildflowerhouse said...

Riet I always love to visit your Mosaics and travel with you through your fantasic photos.Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lovely wheels of cheese! And all those wooden shoes!

I love the second mosaic of the houses and waterways. Always enjoy visiting with you. ~Karen

xinex said...

How beautiful! I love the wooden shoes!...Christine

Vee said...

Visiting your blog always renews my desire to see your beautiful country someday. Love both mosaics!

Rick said...

Weer prachtige fotos Riet. Ik ben er ook (nog) nooit geweest. Als we weer een keer in Nederland komen moeten wij hier wel naar toe!!

Fijne donderdag.

Mary said...

Oh, it all looks so beautiful, Riet!