Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Outdoor Wednesday.

Amsterdam part 2.

Today I am showing you more photo's of Amsterdam, today not the canals round the centre where later  the rich lived but more of the old centre where Amsterdam was founded round the 13th century. It started its existance as a little fishing village and draws  its name from the river Amstel. There are not many houses left of that time  because houses were built of wood  and easily got burnt until it was forbidden to do so.


                Lovely facades on those narrow houses. Little boats in every canal in Amsterdam.




                      


Did I mention bycicles?




café near the market



for sale.


All for sale on the Nieuwmarkt.


On the back  is the St Nicolaaschurch.St Nicolaas is the patron of the men at sea and many churches are called after him.



It was a beautiful sunny day so everywhere the terraces in front iof the café's and restaurants were full with relaxing people  drinking a beer or a glass of wine.


'Look at the facades.




Aren't the facades of these houses beautiful?


It was a busy day in Amsterdam. There was a marathon going on so many visitors.


Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by Susan at  :http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/

22 comments:

Anna said...

Wow wat een serie Riet!
Amsterdam is echt een heerlijke stad... en je hebt het heel mooi en leuk weergegeven.
Lieve groetjes van Anna

Anita said...

Prachtige reportage deel 2
Euh Riet ... krijg je ervoor betaald voor zoveel reclame voor onze hoofdstad ;-)
Groetjezz lfs mij

Cindy Adkins said...

Riet, I love your blog! Your photographs makes me feel like I'm there, too! Thank you!
Cindy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hello Riet,
I just love it when you show photos of your country. Amsterdam is such a lovely city and your beautiful shots are amazing.
I want to visit there someday and who knows, maybe I will.

hugs
Sissie

Unknown said...

What a wonderful trip around that part of town. The architecture is indeed beautiful and amazing. I love boat and being on the water. Top notch photos.
QMM

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am impressed with how neat everything looks. The houses are beautiful.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Very beautiful! I would love to visit there someday! Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos!

June said...

Oh thank you, thank you Riet for taking me to this beautiful part of Amsterdam. Oh I have always wanted to see it for myself, but probably will never be able too, so this is such a wonderful walk around town.
I always love seeing pictures of the canals that flow through the towns.
I hope all is great with you dear friend and that you Autumn is glorious!
hugs from here...

Cottage and Broome said...

Love your pictures of Amsterdam, wonderful! Laura, Cottage and Broome

Light and Voices said...

I love your cyber tour of Amsterdam.
Joyce M

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I dream of visiting Amsterdamn one day, Riet. I love all the bicycles!

Rick said...

It does my heart good to see these gorgeous photos of Amsterdam Riet ! Brings me right back there to our visit in 2008. And you've shown so much more than I had a chance to see then - absolutely prachtig !

I look forward to seeing more of what you saw.

Fijne woensdag !

klaproos said...

ziet er erg gezellig uit riet,
ik heb wel zin in een wandelke amsterdam:-)

Inger-M said...

Amsterdam is a beautiful city, and it's way too long since I've been there. Lovely photos!

Anonymous said...

Vooral die mooie oude gevels doen het goed in deze serie, Riet. Ik ben allerminst een stadmens, maar hier kijk ik toch graag eens naar.

Riet said...

Wat een schitterende foto,s heb je weer gemaakt Riet.

Liefs Riet.

Madelief said...

Lieve Riet,

Zo te zien hadden jullie ook een prachtige dag! Hebben jullie nog op het terras gezeten?

Veel lieve groetjes van Madelief x

Vicki said...

WOW! I never knew that there were so many canals and that so many people rode bikes. Sounds like a perfect place to me! I may be changing my dream vacation destination!
Here's Mine

House of Seasons said...

Mooie post Riet!
Volgende keer Kralingen in het zonnetje zetten hoor!
Tot snel
Liefs
Lia

Jenny said...

That's what I like about Amsterdam, the buildings. xo Jenny

Anonymous said...

What lovely shots! I must visits Amsterdam one day...

Reena said...

Amsterdam is a beautiful city ...we go there once or twice a year. Wish we had more biking like that here in our cities!