Sunday, June 29, 2014

St. Petersburg (Russia) #1


Today  I am making a start with showing photo’s from the beautiful city of St. Petersburg. We took an excursion bus tour that lasted about 4 hours and I can tell you we have seen only a tiny little bit of what there is to see. There was a lot more to see with several different excursions but as my legs and feet are not what they used to be, I can only walk and stand a few minutes at a time, this was all we could choose. Most excursions were for a whole day ,in all other cities as well,and that is out of the question for me. I would have loved to visit the Hermitage, one of the most beautiful museums in the world, but that takes a lot of waiting and walking, so a no no for me.
But as I said we had this bustour and it was wonderful. We saw so many interesting things . I am just afraid that I don’t remember all of the things the guide told us. I mostly remember that St Petersburg is full of Palaces ,Cathedrals and bridges and all beautiful.
But I made photo’s and this is the first batch I am going to show. If I remember what’s on it I will put a name under it. And please google that name and you can find everything there. It is so interesting. I bought a book with photo’s and I trying to find out what it all is.
19-ja cruise oostzee6



.

03-DSC02238
probably little part of the Yusupov palace.
04-DSC02250
These were the only two letters I could read in this country.Glimlach)
05-DSC02253
Thought this was Yusupov palace too.

06-DSC02260
Statue of Peter the Great. You can find these all over town.

07-DSC02265
Admiralty.

08-DSC02267
St Isaacs Cathedral. We didn’t have time to go in it but in my book I see that I missed a lot as it is fabulous. I really must go there again some day.

09-DSC02268

10-DSC02269
We were there on Whitsun Sunday and there were several brides there..
11-DSC02270
Sculpture on the church.

12-DSC02271
I always wonder how they make these beautiful sculptures.

13-DSC02276
I am still trying to find out which palace this is.
15-DSC02278
Another happy couple.

16-DSC02280
St Isaacs square and cathedral.

17-DSC02323

This is just a preview of one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen, The Church on the spilled blood. Next time I am going to show more photo’s of this church.
This blue is for blue Monday. I did nothing to change the colors. These are real.

02-DSC02225
I took this photo from the bus and I  really don’t know which church this is. I could see it was under construction.
I am linking this post to:


Mosaic Monday:http://dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.nl/
Blue Monday:http://smilingsally.blogspot.nl/
Monday Mellow Yellows:http://mondaymellowyellows.blogspot.nl/
and Our World Tuesdayhttp://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.nl/







35 comments:

Lynne said...

Wonderful, beautiful photos . . . thank you for sharing your pictures.. A place I doubt I will ever be able to visit . . .
WC would be important letters to recognize, smile!

Home and Lifestyle said...

Wat een prachtige stad! Jammer dat het lange lopen je niet goed af gaat, maar zo in een bus kun je ook heel veel zien. Fijn dat je zo genoten hebt!

Ik wens je een fijne week! Liefs, Ingrid

Madelief said...

Lieve Riet,

Prachtige foto's van Sint Petersburg. Wat moet dat indrukwekkend zijn geweest al die bijzondere gebouwen en andere sfeer!

Dank je wel ook voor je lieve mailtje!

Fijne week!

Madelief x

eileeninmd said...

Hello Riet, what an amazing city to visit.. The building, sculptures and palace are all wonderful.. Thanks for sharing your trip! Have a happy week1

June said...

Oh my goodness! Your photos of the churches and palace are so lovely dear Riet! I love the gorgeous Church of the spilled blood. It is amazing. What a wonderful trip this must have been. You captured so much even with out having to do a lot of walking my dear.
sending love...

Jolanda said...

Prachtige foto's, ben zeer benieuwd naar je vervolg, lieve groet

Josephine said...

Zooowat indrukwekkend allemaal
lieve Rietje. Al die gigantische
pompeuse bouwwerken met al hun PRACHTIGE sculpturen.
Ohhh daar ben ik ook altijd helemaal
weg van.

Zouden ze dat nu allemaal vooraf
maken of via een hoogwerker
zitten beeldhouwen, zou het niet weten eigenlijk. Maar het is SUPER om allemaal te zien.

Zo'n fantastische plek is gewoon
veel te veel omdat allemaal in
korte tijd te bekijken. Misschien
binnenkort weer eens zo'n heerlijk reisje maken, hihihi.

Lieverd, geniet van een heerlijke week,

Veel liefs,
Josephine
xxx

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Such amazing architecture and churches !! It is nice to enjoy your photos and trip with you :)

Vee said...

I can see why it'd be very important to read those two letters. ☺

Oh fabulous photos! I feel as you do, it would take so much out of me to see it all, but perhaps taking a slower pace than the tour was taking.

Beautiful architecture and amazing colors!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So much beautiful architecture - Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's wonderful to see your photos and learn a little bit about the places you travel. It's nice to have a book to refer to as well. The churches are spectacular against the blue sky. Happy Monday! Hugs, Diane

Ida said...

These are awesome. What a fabulous place to visit. So much history and architecture. Loving that church.

Joanne Olivieri said...

The architecture is just amazing and I love that church photo. Just gorgeous.

Lina Gustina said...

So many beautiful and artistic buildings. Enjoying every shot.
www.homezweethome.info/2014/06/a-railway-side-eating-place.html

Jenny said...

That was an amazing trip. Thank you for sharing it. Love the bride and groom photos. It is all beautiful. I'm so glad you got to travel to St. Petersburg. xo Jenny

Jim said...

The colourful domes are amazing.

biebkriebels said...

Wat jammer dat je niet zo mobiel bent om alles te bekijken wat je wilt. Maar in ieder geval zie je met een bustour ook veel en heb je prachtige foto's gemaakt.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I have always wanted to visit St Petersburg, you're right about that Church being the most beautiful, it is stunning. Loved these photo, thanks
Wren x

My Little Home and Garden said...

I have heard that St. Petersburg is a beautiful city and I can see that is true, based on your selection of photos, Riet. I want to do more traveling and there are so many places to see.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Wat een belevenis om die prachtige stad te kunnen bekijken. Wat ik er van heb gezien en gehoord, moet het echt een geweldige stad zijn waar je niet uitgekeken bent. Alleen in de Hermitage kun je al een paar dagen doorbrengen, zonder dat je je hoeft te vervelen.
Ik denk, dat ik me ook noodgedwongen had beperkt tot een bustrip door de stad, maar dat is altijd beter dan niets!

SmilingSally said...

Hi Riet,

What a fun trip this was, and what a beautiful city to explore. I am fascinated by that church's colorful spires. Thanks for making Blue Monday special.

I'm looking forward to reading your comment on my blue post. Please come back.

Happy Blue Monday!

Ruth Kelly said...

You even caught a wedding too. Love that church. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

Greetings from Canada,
Hi Riet,
I am so very pleased to meet you. Your photographs are amazing and what dear grandchildren you have! Thank you so much for visiting me! Happy Summer! Karen

Sylvia K said...

Such a beautiful, historic city and your captures are fantastic, Riet!! Thanks for sharing them with us! Looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful trip!!

klaproos said...

schitterende stad lieve riet,
ik zou daar weleens heen willen ,

Unknown said...

Great tour!! Boom, Bobbi and Gary.

Fun60 said...

It looks a beautiful city. Can't wait to visit next year.

Carver said...

Wonderful shots. Such a beautiful city.

carol l mckenna said...

You do travel to the best places ~ Gorgeous photography of St Petersburg ~ thanks, ^_^

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Birgitta said...

Amazing architecture and churches! Great photo series from St. Petersburg!

Anonymous said...

Amazing shots and wonderful buildings.

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

I went to St Petersburg for the first time as a student and it was still called Leningrad...I was so impressed by its beauty and history , especially about the spirit of its people who survived 900 days of the siege during WW2.
wonderful pictures you are showing us here, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Arija said...

Lovely to see the place again through your photos Riet. One of my great-aunts was governess to the Yusupov children.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

How beautiful this place is! Those buildings are incredible structures. My neighbors had hoped to visit Russia and some of the historic places, but the gentleman became ill, so not sure if they can go now~

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my what a beautiful city ... and that Church is almost unbelievable...looks like a picture from a fairy-tale book. Wonderful tours your cruise line did for you!